EPD v1.92.0 Build 2394 is out!

In EPD 1.92.0 I have added the new BiomeClusterBrowser to both the fixed and the random editor. You will now see all the most important information of a biomecluster right away for each entry, which makes – as i hope – finding the right biomecluster easier.

You now are also able to search for items like ClusterName, DecorationItem names, GrassItem names, SelectionCriteria and stamp names in the Search box above. That way you can filter your list accordingly to the entered search paremeters and only these biome clusters will show up in list.

Another big thing is the total rework of the neworking and MOD code to make it work with Empyrion’s new ModAPI. It is now again possible to transfer player’s position and rotation from the game back to EPD right into the coordinate or rotation input fields.

The adaption to the new ModAPI will also open more possibilities for the future as well. I might have some ideas already to utilize this in future updates. πŸ˜‰

One thing to consider:

The new EPDMOD should get copied automatically into the corresponding path into the Empyrion subfolder (Content/Mods/EPD/).
Just to be safe, and because this is a total rewrite, please check if the EPDMod folder content looks like that after you start EPD for the first time (the log file might not exist yet in your folder):


To use the coordinate/rotation transfer MOD, you need to disable EAC. It should not matter, what you start first, EPD or Empyrion, I tried both and the TCP client should connect fine to the server, as soon as available.

If not, just delete the whole ModFolder (Content/Mods/EPD) and restart EPD, then the folder and all files should get copied there again. If still nothing changes, please let me know in a bug report. πŸ™‚

Hope you enjoy it. As always, glad to get some feedback and/or bugreports.

See Changelog.



Dev Blog: New Scenario Selector

During the revision of the Save routines I thought about which paths I should offer in the SaveAs dialog. After some time back and forth and testing around, I decided to add a scenario (or also ‘Main Game’) selector to the ‘Create New Playfield’ block. This would have been intended for a later release, but it seemed to be a good idea to integrate it right away. πŸ™‚

It’s still far away that all functions and modules in the PlayfieldEditor are taking this into account, – that is still a lot of work – but the first step is at least done. The ‘Create Playfield’ button sets the current scenario path and it also will be suggested when saving.

Also, when opening a playfield I now determine the scenario path from the file path and set the ‘Create new…’. block to this scenario, since it is very likely that if you open a playfield in a certain scenario, you also want to create a new playfield in this scenario.

The entire configuration is already exported to config.xml when closing EPD as ‘CurrentScenario’, so you can continue where you left off.

Last but not least I refined the UI a bit with new grid splitters (controls that allow you to enlarge and shrink individual areas by dragging) and a more uniform color scheme. I think this makes the whole thing look a little tidier now.


Dev Blog: New Custom RandomPlayfield SaveAsDialog & Refactoring

I’m still in the process of converting the entire framework around the editors and the main interface to MVVM. There are still some routines that need to be adapted. But altogether, I’m making good progress.

Recently I was busy adjusting the Save/SaveAs routines. This required a new SaveAs dialog for RandomPlayfields. Here you can choose which file parts you want to save, i.e. Static, Dynamic or Both (=Default). Since these are always two files, I cannot use the Windows standard dialog windows for saving. I only need a Folder Picker to select the folder where both files should be saved. I’m still thinking about adding custom inputboxes for allowing to change the default file names (playfield_dynamic, playfield_static & space_dynamic), although they would not work in the game. Not sure about that yet.

SSG RoundTrip:

For RandomPlayfields the so-called roundtrip via the SSG already works again. That means you can load or create RandomPlayfields in EPD, then edit, save, load into SSG. Then export a playfield.yaml there and import it back into EPD. This was an important step. Of course I still have to fix some bugs and test some usecases, but it does look quite good.